- sub roll (piantedosi) - capicola - mortadella - provolone - salami ( ham & prosciutto is fine too but isn’t a deal-breaker) - iceberg or romaine lettuce - sweet onion - tomato or roasted pepper - pickled Pepperoncinis - dill pickles - dried herbs & spices (You can go with fresh if you really want but it’s better dried) - Basil - oregano - garlic powder - olive oil & vinegar (alternatively you can use Mayo if you’re weird) - Wax/Parchment/foil/seran wrap
- Butterfly slice the roll leaving one side still intact
- bore out some of the bread, making a trench
- fold or roll then layer the deli meats on the bottom
- layer the cheese over the meats
- Extremely thinly slice the lettuce, use a mandoline slicer if you have one or possibly even a food processor on the slice setting.
- Thinly slice \ julienne onion
- fine chop the Pepperoncinis and pickles
- dice tomato or roasted pepper
- drizzle with olive oil and then with just enough vinegar to coat. You don’t have to measure it but aim for around a 3:1 ratio
- add all the seasoning with a big pinch of salt and black pepper
- Toss everything together to make a salad/slaw
- Stuff the salad mixture into the sub roll.
- press the sub closed and wrap it with foil or paper.
Even if you intend to eat it right away, wrapping the sandwich is necessary and shouldn’t be skipped. You need to trust me on this.